Friday, February 12, 2010

 

D-link DNS-323 - Access Denied: a workaround

Suddenly, out of the blue, files on a DNS-323 started reporting problems like:

Unable to save permission changes on [File name]
Access is denied

You don't have permission to open this file
Contact the file owner or an administrator to obtain permission

Error applying security


You require permission from Unix User\nobody


The cause seems to be related to editing a file in Vista (see forum discussion).

The workaround that limped me through:

Using the Easylink utility, DELETE any existing Mapped Drive for the PC you are working from.

Using the Network Access within the Configuration options, add a new "All users" mapping of the problem folder (tick-box for All Users rather than "User" or "Group") . Map THIS folder for your user using Easylink - and you will find that you CAN now open your files.

Remember to remove the all-users access to the folder if free access is a problem.

Conclusion on the DNS-323: too many hidden nasties to be a reliable choice.  I was within a few minutes of having to install "fun_plug" and learning how to modify permissions using telnet - not the sort of administration level promoted in D-link's promotional material. And whilst similar problems have been documented for over two years, D-link seem to have been in no rush to fix things. Avoid.

Comments:
Thanks for the post. I've been scouring the net for a solution to a Unix suer\nobody files access issue on my DNS-323 since adding a Windows 7 machine to my network. I had some video projects created in Adobe Primiere 8 that I could not open. Your post led me to try removing all the users (just 1) on the 323. Now I can open the files.
 
How good to find that someone has discovered one of my entries, and found it useful. I've had so much help from others' blogs and newsgroup postings - it is great to have made a contribution in return.
 
Thank you John. I've been using the DNS-323 for a couple of years now and have had no end of troubles. I got it to help fireproof my important documents but it's been more trouble than it's worth. After trying to tighten up security a bit more on it through the creation of users/groups, this access denied thing happened. Your tip pulled me out. There was no rhyme or reason as to why these files were locked. Oh well, fixed now. Thanks.
 
Thanks. Good tip. I was about to pull my hair out, or have it pulled out by the people in my company that suddenly couldn't access the shared drive files.
Cheers, Tony.
 
I too had the problem.
Just removing the one existing user fixed it.
Thanks a million.
 
You are awesome - found this article very quickly and my wedding plans are accessible again! Thanks so much!
 
Thank you. I too was so close to "fun_plug". But why should we have to do this? I can say, I have smashed 2 D-link routers for this same type of BS. I have yet to learn my lesson, till now. I will no longer buy a d-link product. Even my wireless "N" adapters suck. Granted win7 doesn't help matters with the crappy admin blocks. Thanks again. I got my files back!
 
Thanks! Like others here, your post saved me a lot (more) frustration trying to access my DNS-323 after I was unable to access it for no apparent reason.

I removed the one user I had defined (for a long time) and all works now.

THANK YOU again!!!!
 
What is an EasyLink utility and where can one find it?
 
Try the "Easy Search Utility" on the " Support Resources" tab on this page:

http://www.dlink.ca/products/?pid=509

Good Luck

John Geddes
 
Thank you for this post! I am now able to access my excel files. PHEW!

Unfortunately I have no idea how to keep my dlink protected with a password and STILL be able to access these files. Any suggestions here?
 
I've been happy with the dns323 until this win7 problem arrived.

I just used the browser interface to delete all users and groups.
Now it works fine.

Hurrah ! Thanks a lot for this post.
 
Thank you! You've saved my day :)
 
Thank you a million times. We needed to get all the files off of that NAS dns323 but were unable because of the stupid permission problems that made no sense. After doing the steps you provided above we successfully created a share of the volume that everyone has access to freely and managed to copy all the necessary files off of the NAS.

Thanks a bunch!
 
D-Link AC Adapter in UAE, Dual‑Band Nano Adapter in UAE, USB Adapter in UAE
https://gccgamers.com/d-link-ac.html
D-Link AC Adapter in UAE, Safe Shopping Multiple Payment Options Express Delivery GCC Gamers Moneyback Guarantee.
1633065294837-7
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?